Use more olive oil!
We can’t stress this enough! Olive oil is the greatest thing to come from Greece (we will gladly argue this opinion with mathematicians, doctors, political scientists, etc.). We hope that just the mention of olive oil brings Greece to mind. Why? Because Greeks use it on just about every dish. They dip their bread in it, mix it into salads, cook their meat with it, and put it on their cheese. Olive oil isn’t just an amazing and delicious add-on, but has an enormous range of health benefits, from reducing your risk of heart disease to reducing oxidative stress!
Here are the proven health benefits of olive oil:
- Olive Oil Is Rich in Healthy Monounsaturated Fats
- Olive Oil Contains Large Amounts of Antioxidants
- Olive Oil Has Strong Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- Olive Oil May Help Prevent Strokes
- Olive Oil Is Protective Against Heart Disease
- Olive Oil Is Not Associated With Weight Gain and Obesity
- Olive Oil May Fight Alzheimer’s Disease
- Olive Oil May Reduce Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- The Antioxidants in Olive Oil Have Anti-Cancer Properties
- Olive Oil Can Help Treat Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Olive Oil Has Antibacterial Properties
One thing to keep in mind is that you have to make sure you get the right type. Buying the right kind of olive oil is extremely important.
Extra virgin olive oil retains some of the antioxidants and bioactive compounds from olives. For this reason, it’s considered healthier than the more refined variety of olive oil.
Even so, there is a lot of fraud on the olive oil market, as many oils that read “extra virgin” on the label have been diluted with other refined oils.
Therefore, examine labels carefully to ensure you’re getting real extra virgin olive oil. It’s always a good idea to read ingredients lists and check for quality certification.
At the end of the day, quality extra virgin olive oil is incredibly healthy. Due to its powerful antioxidants, it benefits your heart, brain, joints and more.
In fact, it may be the healthiest fat on the planet – and again, we’ll argue anyone on this point!